Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ten Things Tuesday

So basically, I was reading on a few friends' blogs, and they had this thing that on every Tuesday, they'd list 10 things they wanted to thank God for. Now, I do recognize that I may stand alone in my gender for embracing this cool weekly concept, but here goes:

1. Coldplay - watching them on SNL last week got me excited to see them in concert in mid-November. They played 3.5/4 songs! (which is unheard of, save they had to scrap some skits 'cause Amy Poehler went into labor, or they had a weak no-name host, or maybe they've just arrived at a similar place of respect in pop culture) Did anyone notice that upon the conclusion of the song Yellow, Chris Martin said into the microphone, "Barack Obama?"
2. EA Playground on Wii - My brother Payton and I discovered this little game over the weekend, and it is amazing! Just ridiculously fun for anyone who's ever walked or driven past a group of elementary kids playing at recess and wanted to go back in time for just a moment...well, my friends, now you can. Go check it out and discover you're own fun.
3. Fireproof - We went and caught a matinee of this Christian film and were impressed. Personally, if you can get past a few over-dramatic, awkward-acted, low-film-budget-moments, you'll be fine. Actually, the film inspired, challenged, encouraged, and prompted me to reflection and action in my marriage...and that was my take-away, not the movie being preachy.
4. Mighty to Save - So who cares if it's not as repetitively played as How Great is Our God, but for a foreign, LIVE anthem of praise, Hillsong's beauty is doing mighty fine. It's my daughter's most requested song at the moment, and I couldn't be happier about that.
5. Golf - Once I vowed never to embrace this silly game with a bunch of metal sticks, a little white ball, and a grassy adventure. It seems I was wrong--this game is a blast.
6. Disney Channel - No, they're not perfect, but their shows try to be as family sensitive as they can, while striving to be successful and creative. Miley Cyrus and the crew may be flawed, but in some strange ways I'm glad my daughter is excited about them rather than Bratz or boys or something else. My favorite new show on DIS is Studio DC, which stars many of the DIS youngsters and THE MUPPETS! It's like a spoof of a spoof on SNL, and it's pretty good so far.
7. Deacon Jack - While he is in this ridiculous phase of staggered sleep in the PM hours, his personality is coming alive during all the hours in between. He smiles, laughs, reaches out and grabs things, slobbers, recognizes, and snuggles in just the coolest ways. I am very blessed to have a son alongside my little Shiloh princess.
8. College Football - I don't consider myself a hardcore fan of this, but isn't it just the coolest thing to know that the eyes of America are on our state because of UT and Tech? Saturday's game could be the best game of the entire fall thus far.
9. Herdez Salsa - We discovered this at Wal-mart. I love making my own, fresh salsa when I'm able to...but for something quick and easy, this stuff is amazing. To date it's the best store-bought salsa we've ever had...I'm wondering if the fact that the label informed me it was created in Mexico has anything to do with it (that's a compliment, friends)...
10. Abba - Some of you have been fans for a long time, I get that. However, I'm just beginning my journey with them, and of course, it's after seeing Mamma Mia this summer with Carly and Deacon. (side note: I've got a soft spot for WELL DONE Musicals on Film--Sweeney Todd, Chicago, and possibly Les Miserables. However, King Leonitus does not a Phantom of the Opera make.) Among the songs I'm currently diggin' the most are Dancing Queen and Mamma Mia, of course...but I Have a Dream is just spell-bindingly spiritual.

Thanks for humoring me by reading, my friends, and thanks for inspiring me all you faithful blogging mommas out there. Grace, peace, and blessings on your faith and families.

3 comments:

Jennifer Schroeder said...

Yeah, bless Jon Hamm's heart. He does not have a great deal of SNL hosting/humor ability.

If you loved Mamma Mia at the movies then you and Carly need to see it on stage. It is even better. Granted, everything is better with 70's pop music, but really, the stage version is fab.

Randall said...

while I admit it is okay for guys to get caught up in this, I haven't quite committed to doing it... though my wife does her list quite often.

I have not seen the movie version of mamma Mia and I am not a huge ABBA fan however I have to agree with jennifer you need to see it on stage... it is amazing

Danna Ramsey said...

Glad to see you do this! It's very refreshing to read other people's lists and realize just how much we all have in common. OR... sometimes be reminded of the little things we have to be thankful for. :)