Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Thoughts of the Longest-Distance Runner

(wanted to share this for all you marathoners out there...seems like EVERYBODY'S running and may have entertained this mental, inward struggle)


When American long-distance runner Alex Jordan decided to run nonstop from coast to coast to raise awareness of knee and joint diseases, many people believed the task he had set for himself was impossible. But as Jordan persisted, state after state, his saga captured the attention of the public and became a symbol of American determination. What thoughts passed through his mind as he ran the tortuous route across the country? Using a state-of-the-art Nagma lightweight tape recorder, Jordan shared his thoughts during his run into history. Here is an excerpt from those tapes, made as he raced across Kansas:

"This is really, really stupid. My feet are killing me. I've done some dumb things in my life, but where this stupid idea--Ow! Darn, that hurts. What am I, out of my mind? How did I let them talk me into this...I swear, if this doesn't get me on Letterman...Hey! Watch it with that truck, jerk. I swear, if I ever finish this thing..."

No comments: